Anticoagulation clinic (York)
The Anticoagulation clinic manages the warfarin for approximately 4000 patients throughout York and surrounding areas. It is a nurse-led service with an Anticoagulation Pharmacist who is responsible for the dosing of warfarin.
We are responsible for the safe monitoring and dosing of patients taking Warfarin as well as:
- Take new patients with deep vein thrombosis from emergency department and carry out Warfarin counselling and heparin injections in line with DVT pathway
- Take early discharge new patients with pulmonary embolus to carry out Warfarin counselling and heparin injections in line with PE pathway
- Take referrals from G.P practices to commence Warfarin for new patients
- Take referrals from other hospitals for on-going anticoagulation for patients
- Provide annual reviews for our Anticoagulation patients who have self-check Coagucheck machines
- Liaise and advise with pre-assessment areas regarding patients who require surgery or interventions.
About your appointment
New patient appointments must be made via referral from patients G.P/Dr or from a health care professional if patient is an in-patient.
At the first appointment the patient may require a blood test and will then have Warfarin counselling (as per National Patient safety agency guidance) which will take approximately 45 minutes so please allow sufficient time for the appointment.
Please bring a list of all medications to this appointment.
Where to find us
First floor, Outpatients, The York Hospital.
You can contact us through our administration clerk on (01904) 726785.
- NHS Choices - information on blood clots
- British Society for Haemostasis & Thrombosis
- Lifeblood: The Thrombosis Charity
Meet the team
Jayne Oliver (Specialist Nurse)
DVT, Cardiology, compression stockings and pre-assessment
Pamela Daykin (Clinic Nurse)
DVT and PE, teaching patients how to self inject
Geraldine Lowes (Clinic nurse)
Safe discharge of patients, staff education
Dean Hanson (Clinic nurse)
Patient counselling of warfarin therapy/patient information, teaching patients how to self inject
Anthony Wilson (HCA)
Coagucheck self testing, Atrial fibrillation
Angela Hewitt (HCA)
Jayne Knights (Pharmacist)
|Nicky Thirsk (Staff Nurse)||(01904) 726785|
Joanne Jacques(Admin and Clerical)
Sandra Lightfoot(Admin and Clerical)
Emma Rowland(Apprentice Administrator)