Tel: 01947 604851
Fax: 01947 820568
Whitby Hospital is a Community Hospital providing inpatient, outpatient and community services to the town of Whitby and surrounding area.
The Hospital is located in the centre of town, opposite the Police Station. It is a short, although uphill, walk from the town centre, rail and bus stations.
Minor Injuries Unit
Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy
Psychological Therapy Team
Podiatry and Foot Health Department
Speech and Language Therapy
Sexual Health Department
Health and Adult Services (formerly Social Services) have accommodation within the hospital. To contact them call 0845 0349494.
The patient/ visitor car park is in front of the main entrance to the hospital and currently has three disabled parking bays. A further two disabled bays are located in the delivery goods yard adjacent to the ambulance entry doors.
There are no charges for parking.
There is an hourly bus service which stops outside the entrance to the car park.
There are taxi ranks adjacent to the Railway/Bus Station and on New Quay Road.
The Dining Room is located on the same level as the Main Reception. A weekly menu is produced for patients, staff and visitors.
9.00am - 11.00am
12.00 - 1.30pm
4.15 - 5.00pm
The WRVS operate a trolley service throughout the week for the inpatient unit.
There is no cash machine on site. The nearest bank is on Baxtergate.
There is no post box on site. The nearest Post Office is located in the Co-operative Supermarket on Langbourne Road.
No facilities on site, the nearest chemist is on Baxtergate
War Memorial Ward 2.00pm - 8.00pm
Abbey Ward 2.00pm - 8.00pm
Visitors are requested to avoid visiting during dinner time 6.00pm - 6.30pm.
Prior to the establishment of the NHS, a Cottage Hospital and District Nursing establishment was in existence from 1896 in a property known as the Brewery House in Church Street Whitby.
In 1901 a permanent hospital was opened in Grape Lane comprising mainly of a men's ward of five beds, a women's ward of three beds and an outpatient department.
Following the First World War a new hospital was built on the present hospital site at Springhill and named The War Memorial Hospital in remembrance of those who had fallen during the war.
In 1925 The War Memorial Hospital at Whitby was officially opened by HRH Princess Mary, Viscount Lascelles.
In the late 1970s a new hospital was built on the same site to incorporate the services provided by Eskdale Hospital, St Hilda's Hospital, the War Memorial Hospital, Community Health Office and Clinic and a GP Surgery Health Centre. The Hospital was renamed Whitby Hospital and officially opened in 1979 by HRH Princess Margaret, Countess Snowden and is the hospital currently in use.
The GP Surgery Health Centre moved out of the hospital into their own purpose built premises in 1990.
The hospital has a League of Friends to who work to improve patient care and comfort.