Physiotherapy services to acute medicine for the elderly
What we do
The Acute Medicine for the Elderly Physiotherapy Team have a developed interest in the treatment of older people and the specific physical problems that can be associated with ageing. The Physiotherapy team is concerned with the assessment, treatment and management of older people who may have acute medical problems further complicated by the ageing process.
The focus is on a multidisciplinary approach with close links to the Consultants, nursing staff, Occupational Therapists and community teams.
Assessment of physical abilities with identification of a suitable individualised treatment plan is provided to patients admitted to the Acute Elderly Medicine Wards as required.
Aims of treatment
- To provide assessment and appropriate treatment of impairment of balance, abnormal muscle tone and abnormal movement patterns with advice on prevention of falls.
- To assess and treat older people with acute respiratory illnesses.
- To improve mobility by increasing joint range, muscle strength, stamina and teaching of adaptive practice to facilitate independence.
- To utilise complementary pain relief treatment when appropriate by using various physical modalities.
- To provide assessment and provision of appropriate aids and appliances to facilitate independence.
- To improve general function especially specific to patient’s activities of daily living and their home environment.
Where we are
We work across Acute Elderly Medicine on Oak Ward and Ann Wright Ward.