In this section
An outpatient department or clinic liaison volunteer will be located within an outpatient area. The role will involve meeting and greeting patients as they attend their outpatient appointment or clinic visit. This role involves proactively explaining to patients how the clinic works, ensuring that the patient has the appropriate paperwork with them, providing directions to the area of their appointment, communicating time delays where appropriate and generally ensuring that the patient journey runs as smoothly as possible for the patient.
- To liaise with nursing staff at the start of each shift for the purpose of understanding any delays or other relevant clinic information
- To inform patients about clinic procedures, how the clinic works, what they should expect and clinic timings and delays.
- To liaise with relatives and friends to keep them up to date with the patients progress through clinic if necessary
- To liaise with relatives and friends by telephone if the patient needs any further support in clinic or to get home
- To guide patients to other parts of the hospital as necessary
- To provide patients, relatives and friends with any other information about the hospital they may need
- Other duties as required by the clinic by agreement with the worker.
- To help patients complete feedback questionnaires (such as the Friends and Family Test)
It is expected that the outpatient volunteer will be able to:
- To communicate effectively
- To use their own initiative as the need arises within agreed areas.
- To present a professional approach to patients, carers, nursing and other staff.
- To be polite and punctual at all times.
- To ensure absolute confidentiality of information obtained
We will support you by:
- Providing and delivering a mandatory training program
- Providing access to other training as appropriate
- Linking you with a volunteer supervisor who will be your main point of contact, as well as the Volunteer Services team.
- Listening to your feedback about your role
- Reimbursing reasonable travel expenses incurred as a result of volunteering (see Volunteering Expenses policy)