In this section
Occupational therapy for rheumatology services
Occupational therapists working in the rheumatology team at Scarborough Hospital provide a specialist occupational therapy service to both in-patients and out-patients.
- Assessment of patient’s current level of functional ability. This may be through washing and dressing practice, kitchen activities, assessment of transfers, cognitive, sensory, and psychological analysis. A visit to the patients own home may be necessary.
- The provision of suitable equipment to facilitate independence in areas of personal and domestic activities. Adaptations to the home environment or wheelchair assessment and provision.
- Advice on fatigue management, joint protection, relaxation techniques on a one to one or within a group.
- Hand assessment with either prefabricated splints prescribed and issued or a specific hand splint moulded to the patient’s requirements.
- Work/leisure reviews and advice on appropriate agencies.
- Liasing with family, carers and outside agencies if further rehabilitation is necessary.