In 1936 Scarborough Hospital was built at a cost of £135,000. It officially opened its doors on Sunday 23 October by H.R.H the Duke of Kent.
In 1948 the NHS was formed. The Leeds Regional Hospital Board, was also established which together with the Scarborough, Bridlington, Malton and Whitby Group managed Scarborough Hospital alongside 13 other local hospitals.
Long term development of local healthcare services were made at national level and in 1986 this came to fruition as a new extension to Scarborough Hospital was approved, opening in 1988.
Scarborough and North East Yorkshire Healthcare NHS Trust was established in April 1992.
Recent developments include a new Women’s Unit and Midwifery-Led Unit, new Radiology Department, Gastroenterology Department, refurbishment of A&E and Maple Ward a new surgical ward.
In July 2012, Scarborough Hospital and Scarborough and North East Yorkshire Healthcare NHS Trust became part of York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
*subject to the discretion of the nurse in charge
Hawthorn Ward (Maternity)
9.00am - 9.00pm one birth partner and siblings.
Any other visitor can visit 11am - 8.00pm.
No children under the age of 12 unless they are siblings of the baby.
Visitors are restricted to 2 per bed in addition to partners.