Allergy Testing & Specific IgE Analysis
We test for most common allergens by measuring specific IgE to the particular allergen and can also send samples to a reference laboratory for some of the less common specific IgE tests.
We offer several panels of allergy tests:-
- Inhalant panel: HDM, Cat dander, Dog dander, Timothy grass, Rye Grass, Cladosporium herbarum, Birch and Mugwort.
- Tree panel: Alder, Silver Birch, Hazelnut, Oak and Willow.
- Mould panel: Penicillium notatum, Cladosporium herbarum, Candida albicans, Aspergillus fumigatus and Alternaria tenuis.
- Weed panel: Ox-eye daisy, dandelion, plantain, golden-rod and Lamb's quarters.
- Rodent panel: Guinea pig, Hamster, Rabbit, Rat and Mouse
- Feather panel: Goose, Chicken, Duck and Turkey.
- Food panel: Milk, egg, cod, wheat, peanut and soybean.
- Fish panel: Cod, tuna, salmon, blue mussel and shrimp.
- Mixed nut panel: Hazel, Brazil, Almond, Peanut and Coconut.
If you only request total IgE we will not do any further allergy tests. If the patient’s history suggests possible allergens then we recommend that you request these as individual tests.
Several points should be borne in mind when interpreting results of allergy tests. Firstly the presence of a specific IgE to an allergen indicates sensitisation but does not necessarily indicate clinical allergy. Secondly in atopic individuals the requesting of multiple allergy tests is likely to be of little clinical benefit. There is also little benefit repeating allergy tests, which have already been found to be positive.
Dr Philip Wood, the Consultant Immunologist, is available for clinical advice on 07525055670.