The pharmacy departments at York and Scarborough Hospitals employ over 180 staff providing comprehensive services and support to patients, wards, clinics and departments within the Trust, as well as hospices and several community hospitals and units in the locality.
Working with other disciplines, the team is comprised of pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, pharmacy assistants and clerical staff who all play an essential role in service delivery.
The aim of the pharmacy service is to provide the right medicine to the right patient at the right time and to ensure the patient gets the best out of their medicines.
Please bring you medicines into hospital with you on admission. This will enable our pharmacy team to carry out a full review of your medicines during your stay.
If you have any questions about your medicines please inform a member of the ward staff that you would like to speak to a member of the pharmacy team about your medicines.
Services are provided at:
- The York Hospital
- Scarborough General Hospital
- York Hospital Pharmacy and Lloyds Pharmacy can both be found via the main entrance on the ground floor.
- Scarborough Pharmacy Department can be found via the south entrance on the first floor.
The services provided by the pharmacies at both York and Scarborough include:
- Dispensing medicines for in-patients, out-patients and on discharge. The out-patient dispensing service at York is provided by our partner Lloyds Pharmacy.
- Ward based Clinical Pharmacy service - pharmacists and medicines management pharmacy technicians and assistants - work as part of the multi-disciplinary team to ensure that patients get the best out of their medicines by ensuring prescribing is safe, effective and economic. Several pharmacists attend consultant ward rounds to ensure the medical teams receive specialist pharmaceutical advice.
- Procurement and distribution of medicines - these teams ensure that medicines are available and fit for use. They work closely with local and national agencies to ensure the Trust gets best value for its expenditure on medicines.
- Clinical trials - a team of pharmacy staff co-ordinates a large number of studies in the Trust, ensuring trials are conducted and dispensed according to best practice.
Additional services at York Hospital only, include:
- Aseptics - preparation of aseptic medicines for individual patients e.g. ready to administer injectables. This includes chemotherapy, paediatric doses and clinical trial medicines.
- Medicines Information - clinical practice is supported by our medicines information service, who have online access to the latest information to support clinicians with patient specific requests. This team also maintains and develops the Trust formulary, prescribing guidelines and protocols.
- Anticoagulant Clinic - pharmacists are heavily involved in the busy anticoagulant clinic, where patients have their warfarin dosed on the basis of blood tests. This reduces greatly the burden on GPs and helps to improve patient safely.
Open days for pre-registration pharmacists
The York Hospital
- 14th June 2017
- 5th July 2017
For general enquiries please contact:
based at York Hospital
|Scarborough Hospital||01723 342448|