Physiotherapy to the community rehabilitation hospitals for the elderly
What we do
The physiotherapy service to both hospitals is provided from Monday to Friday and includes treatment to both inpatients and outpatients. The focus is on a multidisciplinary approach with close links to the Consultants, nursing staff, occupational therapists, social workers and community teams. The aim of each unit is to promote independence where appropriate and to facilitate a timely return to a patient’s home or an alternative supported environment.
There are excellent facilities including a fully furnished physiotherapy treatment area incorporating a variety of exercise and electrical therapeutic equipment. The Senior Physiotherapists have a special interest in the treatment of people as they get older and are highly skilled in the physiotherapy management of the effects of illness or accident on the ageing body.
Physiotherapy services are also provided to outpatients who may be referred by their consultants following a hospital stay or clinic appointment. Individuals may attend once or twice weekly for treatment sessions.
Aims of treatment
- Improving mobility by increasing joint range, muscle strength, stamina
- Pain relief treatment using various physical modalities including massage, electrotherapy and acupuncture.
- Improving general function especially specific to patient’s activities and their home environment.
- Assessment and appropriate treatment of impairment of balance, abnormal muscle tone and abnormal movement patterns.
- Provide preventative advice on issues such as osteoporosis, falls, the ways to keep fit and how to enjoy an active older age and leisure time.
- Common conditions treated are problems associated with falling, fractures, joint replacements, arthritis, rheumatic disorders, musculoskeletal complaints, strokes, Parkinson’s disease, neurological disorders, post surgical problems, respiratory disease.
Where we are
Whitecross Court ( off Haxby road ) and St Helen’s (off Tadcaster road ) are both community rehabilitation hospitals that provide patient care as part of York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.