- Our area
- About us
- Other opportunities
- Information for applicants
- Practice Education Team
- Staff Benefits and Wellbeing
NHS Choices 12 Week Weight Loss Programme
If you want to lose weight and develop healthier habits you may find this programme helpful. It is a programme that you can do alone or with family, friends or colleagues.
This 12 week course is available to everyone and can be found on the NHS Choices website. It aims to help individuals work towards losing weight at a safe and sustainable rate of 0.5kg to 1kg a week.
You can download a booklet to keep track of your calories and physical activity. This booklet contains lots of useful information and tips. There are also a number of u tube clips on the website to support you with improving physical activity and also a BMI calculator. It also links to the couch to 5K programme
How did you do?
Let us know how you got on. Once you have completed the programme, we would love to hear from you to see how this programme worked for you. Email us at email@example.com
Here are a few quotes from Henry Ford that seem appropriate for this programme.
- "If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got."
- "Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals."
- Book yourself in for a free staff Health Check.This will give you a good baseline of your current health and lifestyle and will help you focus on what you want to change or improve on.These take place at York, Scarborough and Bridlington Hospitals. Contact the Wellbeing team at firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment.
- Do this programme with another person or a group of people. By supporting each other and sharing tips, you are more likely to stay motivated and it can be more fun.
- Set your goals. Having something to aim for helps you to monitor progress and gives a sense of achievement. Be realistic in your goal setting and make it personal and relevant to you.
- Have fun.Try something new - take up a new exercise class, try new recipes – avoid it becoming a drudge!
- Keep at it. We all get de-motivated from time to time when trying to make changes. There will be ups and downs – the key is to just keep going – small changes over time accumulate to make a big difference.
The health and lifestyle check provides a comprehensive set of checks that aims to help individuals identify and monitor areas of their health and behaviour that may affect their current and future health.
The health check lasts one hour and is available to staff employed within the Trust. Priority will be given to those over 40 years of age and/or shift workers.
The appointment includes:
- Basic body measurements - height, weight, waist circumference and body composition (this will require you to stand bare foot on a set of scales)
- Resting blood pressure - systolic, diastolic and resting heart rate
- Resting blood measures - total cholesterol, HDL and glucose from a fingertip blood sample
- Lifestyle discussion and assessment of risk of diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
Appointments are available at York, Scarborough and Bridlington Hospitals.
The Trust supports release of staff to attend during work time.
To book an appointment please email the Wellbeing Team email@example.com
Free Mindfulness Meditation sessions
One hour taster sessions, ‘The Mindful Way to Reducing Stress’, have been organised as a part of our Healthy Workforce commitment to staff health and well-being. The York sessions begin on Friday 9 December.
Places are limited so to book your place on the fully funded taster session please visit Learning Hub.
The dates for York are:
- 03/04/2017 12.00 noon to 1.00pm venue to be confirmed
New date now confirmed for Scarborough
- Monday 17 July 4.00 to 5.00pm
Book your place on Learning Hub.
Any queries email PsychologicalWellbeingTeam@york.nhs.uk
Discounted Mindfulness sessions
For those who wish to go on to learn mindfulness, Staff Benefits and the Occupational Health and Wellbeing Service have secured a 20 percent discount on eight week mindfulness courses offered by the Northern Centre for Mindfulness and Compassion. To book a discounted place simply select ‘Organisational Discount Rate’.
To find out more please visit www.yorkmbsr.eventbrite.co.uk
Click here to return to the main Staff Benefits menu.