In this section
Emergency Department volunteer
Our Emergency Departments at York and Scarborough can be very busy and daunting places for our patients. Volunteers can help to ease concerns, listen out for names being called, update patients on the waiting time and much more.
Essential tasks to be completed every shift:
- Tea rounds at 10am and 3pm
- Assisting with hot/cold meals at 12 noon and 5/6pm (some patients may have allergies, dietary requirements or be Nil By Mouth/unable to eat)
- Assisting with cleaning and making beds with member of the ward staff
- Taking patients to waiting room when going home and double checking they have all of their belongings
- Check the fridge temperatures has been done
- Escalate this to the coordinator if they have not been completed
- Asking if patients want to use the phone, and helping to facilitate phone calls with family
- Keeping wheelchairs stocked up in the waiting room.
Important tasks that would be helpful:
- Sitting and/or speaking with patients who may be lonely and just want a chat (Check with the nurse in charge to ensure the patient isn’t an infection risk, or has any challenging behaviour)
- Seeing if patients need drinks (in between tea rounds)
- Restocking PPE on the walls:
- Ask a member of ward staff if you’re unsure how to get the gloves/aprons into the boxes on the walls.
It is expected that the volunteer will be able to:
- Speak with patients from all walks of life with confidence and minimal supervision
- Be professional and polite with patients, carers and staff
- Volunteer regularly, and let someone know if unable to attend
- Ensure absolute confidentiality of information obtained through contact with the Trust
We will support you by:
- Providing and delivering a mandatory training program
- Providing access to other training as appropriate
- Linking you with a volunteer supervisor who will be your main point of contact, as well as the Volunteer Services team.
- Listening to your feedback about your role
- Reimbursing reasonable travel expenses incurred as a result of volunteering (see Volunteering Expenses policy)