In this section
Welcome to Audiology
The audiology service is part of the Head and Neck Department. It involves the assessment, treatment, and ongoing management of hearing and balance disorders. We provide services for adults and children across York, North Yorkshire and the East coast.
The audiology service provides a full range of audiological tests from assessing the hearing of babies through to the elderly. Our highly skilled and experienced team offer a comprehensive service with the patient at the heart of everything we do.
Where to find us
Audiology is part of the Head and Neck Department at York Hospital and is located on junction A.
In Scarborough it is located in Springhill House on Springhill Close (YO12 4AD).
Adult hearing services
- Assessment and fitting of digital hearing aids with ear moulds and slim tubes
- Regular booked hearing aid sessions
- Diagnostic testing
- Balance clinic
- Tinnitus assessment and rehabilitation
- Assessment of adults with learning difficulties
- Assessment and fitting of bone anchored hearing aids
• A full range of hearing tests from birth upwards
• Fitting of digital hearing aids specifically programmed for each child where needed
• Ongoing assessment of hearing aids, maintenance and repair
• Partnership working - we work closely with other professionals, teachers of the deaf, speech and language therapists, and Ear Nose and Throat doctors.
• Assessment and fitting of bone anchored hearing aids
Who can refer?
- Ear, nose and throat (ENT) specialists
- Health visitors
- School health nurse
How to make an appointment
Patients can only be seen on pre-booked appointments following a referral.
NHS e-Referrals (formerly Choose and Book)
The NHS e-Referrals service allows you to decide which hospital or clinic you would like to attend when you need to see a specialist. You can also select the date and time of your first outpatient appointment that suits you. In most cases, you will be able to select that appointment on the same day you see your GP, either at the GP Practice or from home using the NHS e-Referrals web-site or by telephone.
How to contact us
- Audiology secretaries -01904 726741
- Hearing aid repairs booking - email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Appointment queries - 01904 726741or email email@example.com
- Children’s hearing service line - 01904 725454
- Scarborough Audiology, Springhill House - 01723 342821
Hearing test summary and care plan
Download a copy of the form for your summary hearing test results and care plan for adults and children.
Hearing air battery dispensing
The Trust is registered for the Improving Quality in Physiological Services (IQIPS) Programme for the Audiology Department and is working towards becoming an accredited department this year.
The IQIPS programme, hosted by the Royal College of Physicians, promotes and recognises good quality practice in physiological services. The aim is to improve service quality, care and safety for patients undergoing physiological diagnostics and treatment. It monitors clinical, patient experience, safety, facilities, resource and workforce.
Considering Audiology as a career?
Find out more about the varied opportunities available in Audiology
Click here to read more information from the British Academy of Audiologists about the ways you can train to become an audiologist
Click here for Leeds University Audiology course details
Click here to see our current vacancies