In this section
North Yorkshire Breast Screening Service
Click here to open the information about the restarting on the North Yorkshire Breast Screening services.
We are now in a position to start offering routine screening in the North Yorkshire area.
In order to comply with strict infection control guidance for Covid-19 we will be restarting breast screening at our two static hospital sites - York hospital Magnolia Centre and Scarborough Hospital Radiology Department.
- All appointments will be spaced to allow appropriate social distancing and each area will be fully cleaned after each client.
- All staff will be wearing PPE and we would ask all clients to attend with an appropriate face covering.
- Temperature testing will be undertaken on entry and any clients reporting signs or symptoms of Covid-19 will be turned away.
Please contact the screening office on 01904 725590 or 01904 725591 if you have any queries.
About the service
The Trust Breast Imaging Unit provides the base site for the North Yorkshire Breast Screening Service which covers the region, It is also the centre for the provision of a comprehensive symptomatic breast service to the population of York, providing one stop and follow up services, as well as some outreach clinics at Scarborough Hospital.
The North Yorkshire Breast Screening Service is part of the NHS Breast Screening Programme and provides breast screening to a population of around 131,000 women in North Yorkshire eligible for breast screening every three years. In addition women assessed at a very high risk of developing breast cancer have yearly breast screening following the national breast screening protocol. Further information on this is available at the Public Health England Website.
Breast Screening in North Yorkshire is provided on four mobile mammography units which cover over 24 locations around the county and one static unit situated in York with further investigations undertaken at the Breast Imaging department in York.
The North Yorkshire Breast Screening service and symptomatic breast imaging services are housed in a purpose built unit within the Magnolia Centre at York Teaching Hospital which integrates imaging and outpatient services plus the multidisciplinary breast team for twice weekly meetings.
Information you will receive with your Breast Screeening apppointment
Information you will receive if a second stage screening appointment is required
- Appointment letter
- Second stage screening leaflet
Breast Screening leaflets:
- Breast screening: helping women decide
- Breast screening for women aged 71 or over
- Breast screening: partial or incomplete mammography
- Breast screening: breast implant guidelines
- Breast screening: easy guide
- Breast screening: higher risk women
- NHS population screening: information for transgender people
The Breast Imaging Unit,
The York Hospital,
Telephone: 01904 725591