In this section
Who are we?
We are a team of nurses who specialise in the care and support of people with a suspected or diagnosed gynaecological cancer. This may include cancers of the ovary, womb (endometrial), cervix and vulva. A Clinical Nurse Specialist (sometimes called a CNS) is available to every patient diagnosed with a gynaecological cancer. We may also be referred to as your Key Worker. Many people will be involved in your care and they form the Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT), your Key Worker is the link between you and the other MDT members throughout your treatment.
What do we do?
We are there to support you at every stage of your disease including:
- During treatment
- After treatment
- Any recurrence of your cancer
We can support you, your relatives and carers by providing information about tests and investigations, current illness and possible treatments. We can offer advice and support about side-effects related to your treatment and how best to manage them.
If you have any concerns relating to your diagnosis, treatment and aftercare please contact us.
We can offer you help and advice on:
- Changes in body image, sexual issues, communication and relationships
- Management of the symptoms of your illness and side-effects caused by your treatments; including surgery, radiotherapy, hormone treatments, chemotherapy and other treatments. And, we can refer you to other helpful services including, Benefits and financial support, Psychological Support, Complementary Therapies, Lymphoedema Service, District Nursing, Community Macmillan Nurses and local Support Groups.
- Social care and community support
- Psychological and emotional issues
How can you contact us?
We have a voicemail facility if you wish to leave a message, which we check regularly and aim to return your call within 24 hours.We are based at both York & Scarborough Hospital and our working hours are 8am - 4pm each Mon - Fri (excluding bank holidays).
Scarborough patients please ring 01723 345290
York patients please ring 01904 726478