In this section
Who are we?
We are a team of nurses who specialise in the care and support of people with a suspected or diagnosed Haematological cancer. This may include Myeloma, Lymphoma and Leukaemia. A Clinical Nurse Specialist (sometimes called a CNS) is available to every patient diagnosed with a Haematological cancer. We may also be referred to as your Key Worker. Many people will be involved in your care and they form the Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT), your Key Worker is the link between you and the other MDT members throughout your treatment. However any of the CNS team will be able to assist you should you have any queries or concerns.
What do we do?
We are there to support you at every stage of your disease including:
- Before diagnosis
- During treatment
- After treatment
- Any recurrence of your cancer
We can support you, your relatives and carers by providing information about tests and investigations, current illness and possible treatments. We can offer advice and support about side-effects related to your treatment and how best to manage them.
If you have any concerns relating to your diagnosis, treatment and aftercare please contact us.
We can offer you help and advice on:
- Changes in body image, sexual issues, communication and relationships
- Management of the symptoms of your illness and side-effects caused by your treatments; including surgery, radiotherapy, hormone treatments, chemotherapy and other treatments.
- Social care and community support, we can refer you to other helpful services including, Benefits and financial support.
- Psychological and emotional issues, including referral to the Psychology Support Service, Complementary Therapies, Lymphoedema Service, District Nursing, Community Macmillan Nurses and local Support Groups.
How can you contact us?
We are based at both York and Scarborough Hospital and our working hours are 8.30am - 5pm Mon - Fri (excluding bank holidays). If you wish to call us we can be contacted on 01904 725815 (York team) and 01723 342481 (Scarborough Team). For any urgent calls outside these hours ring Ward 31 on 01904 726031 and the ward will advise. We have a voicemail facility if you wish to leave a message, which we check regularly and aim to return your call within 24 hours.