In this section
Head and Neck Cancer
Who are we?
We are a team of nurses who specialise in the care and support of people with a suspected or diagnosed Head, Neck & Thyroid cancer. This may include cancers of the mouth, lip or tongue (oral cancers) or the upper parts of the throat (larynx and pharynx) and salivary gland, nose, sinuses, and the middle ear, thyroid. A Clinical Nurse Specialist (sometimes called a CNS) is available to every patient diagnosed with a Head, Neck &Thyroid cancer. We may also be referred to as your Key Worker. Many people will be involved in your care and they form the Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT), your Key Worker is the link between you and the other MDT members throughout your treatment.
What do we do?
We are there to support you at every stage of your disease including:
- During treatment
- After treatment
- Any recurrence of your cancer
We can support you, your relatives and carers by providing information about tests and investigations, current illness and possible treatments. We can offer advice and support about side-effects related to your treatment and how best to manage them.
If you have any concerns relating to your diagnosis, treatment and aftercare please contact us.
We can offer you help and advice on:
- Changes in body image, sexual issues, communication and relationships
- Management of the symptoms of your illness and side-effects caused by your treatments; including surgery, radiotherapy, hormone treatments, chemotherapy and other treatments. And, we can refer you to other helpful services including, Benefits and financial support, Psychological Support, Complementary Therapies, Lymphoedema Service, District Nursing, Community Macmillan Nurses and local Support Groups.
- Social care and community support
- Psychological and emotional issues
How can you contact us?
As part of this service we also cover Harrogate hospital for patients with a new diagnosis of cancer and at Scarborough Hospital we run an Allied Health Professional clinic every week on a Tuesday afternoon to support patient’s post treatment from the East Coast.
We are based at York Hospital and our working hours are 8am - 4pm each Mon - Fri (excluding bank holidays). If you wish to call us we can be contacted on 01904 726063 or mobile 07931951825. We have a voicemail facility if you wish to leave a message, which we check regularly and aim to return your call within 24 hours