In this section
Diabetes Specialist Team (Scarborough)
The Diabetes Team educate and support adults and children with diabetes mellitus, their families and carers, and health care professionals.
They are involved in delivering diabetes care, working across hospital and community settings in the Scarborough, Whitby and Ryedale locality.
- Input into specialist consultant-led diabetes team services: children and teenagers with diabetes, people with diabetes who become pregnant or those who develop diabetes in pregnancy, people with Type 1 diabetes who use insulin pumps.
- Supporting people with diabetes who come into hospital to self-manage their diabetes and advise the medical and nursing teams caring for them on their diabetes management.
- Education and support of people with diabetes and their families in the management of complicated diabetes issues, either in nurse-led clinics or telephone support.
- Supporting health care colleagues in GP surgeries and the community through joint clinics or case note discussions with nurses and doctors.
- Delivery of structured group education programmes for people with diabetes. For example ‘DAFNE’ (Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating) for people with Type 1 diabetes.
- Development and delivery of education programmes for hospital–based and community health care professionals
Services are provided at:
- Scarborough General Hospital
- Whitby Community Hospital
- Malton Community Hospital
Diabetes Office, Cardio-respiratory Unit, First Floor of Scarborough Hospital.
Diabetes Co-ordinator – 01723 342274
Are taken via health care professionals from community or hospital settings
Meet the Team
|Sue North||Senior Diabetes Specialist Nurse||Patient and health care professional structured education programmes.
|Mandy Brown||Diabetes Specialist Nurse||Insulin pumps
Pregnancy and diabetes
Teenagers in transition from children’s diabetes services to adult diabetes care
|Molly Foster||Diabetes Specialist Nurse||Inpatient care
|Suzanne Wright||Paediatric Diabetes Specialist Nurse||Children and teenagers with diabetes||01723 342365
|Helen Hinchliffe||Diabetes Services Co-ordinator||01723 342274|