In this section
We specialise in the advice and treatment of all types of liver disease. Our service aims to improve early identification of liver disease and make referrals, where appropriate, to tertiary services such as transplantation.
Our Hepatology service delivers treatment for patients with a variety of liver conditions.
We hold a variety of clinics in Malton, Scarborough, Selby and York and have established links with other service providers for specific treatments.
Patients can be referred to our service via a GP, hospital doctor or other healthcare professionals.
Once a referred we will arrange an appointment at the clinic most convenient to you and depending on the degree of urgency. We may send blood request forms to you for completion prior to the appointment. Occasionally scans or other investigations will be arranged before the appointment so that the results can be discussed at the appointment.
Preparing for your appointment
It is important that you have all relevant blood tests before your first appointment with the Hepatology Service. mPlease ask your GP or the healthcare worker who is referring you to ensure that bloods are taken to help speed up your referral.
- Call the main switchboard: 01904 631313
- Email the dietician team: email@example.com
- Email the Medical Elective Services (MES) ascetic drain unit: MES.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call our nursing team: 01904 725037
- Call our secretarial team: 01904 725622
- Contact our pharmacy teams: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact our substance misuse team by emailing: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email the upper gastrointestinal (GI) nursing team: email@example.com
- Call ward 33 (liver ward): 01904 722033
Meet the team
Our team of hepatologists work closely with surgeons, radiologists and oncologists to provide the best service and outcome for our liver patients – click here to visit our team page.
Donating to the York Hepatology Service
Donations can be made to York Teaching Hospital Charity and donors can specify that the money goes to the Hepatology service. All donations will be greatly appreciated and will be put towards:
- Purchasing patient support information such as the British Liver Trust leaflets, to ensure that each patient coming to the department receives good quality information to take home with them.
- Setting up and maintaining a patient support group for patients with Liver Disease.
- Enabling patients and members of the team to attend educational events.
- Buying new essential equipment for patients with Liver Disease.
For any further details regarding making a donation or organising a charitable event to raise funds for the Hepatology service visit our charity webpage.
Patient information leaflets
- ERCP leaflet
- Fibroscan leaflet
- Liver biopsy leaflet
Visit our page of useful links for further information you may find useful.
Patient support group
We are very keen to set up a patient support group and would welcome any offers or help or support. If you feel you can help in any way and would like to be part of setting up this new group please contact the Hepatology secretarial team by calling: 01904 725622.