In this section
Occupational therapy for surgical services
What we do
The occupational therapy team for acute surgery work with adult patients who due to their surgical condition are experiencing difficulties with their day to day functional activity.
The team work with patients with a range of surgical conditions. We receive referrals from all members of the multi-disciplinary team.
- A referral is received due to a functional difficulty being identified. This would include difficulties with one or more of the following:
- Eating, drinking, personal care, bathing/showering, meal / drink preparation, shopping, cleaning, laundry.
- Functional transfers/balance/mobility problems.
- Cognitive difficulties affecting function.
- Functional difficulties affecting home environment.
The acute surgical therapist will work with the patient to identify what assessment and interventions are required according to their individual needs. This may involve :
- Assessment of functional ability, transfers, and daily living skills through the use of observation and standardized assessments,
- Assessment within the patients own home
- Assessment for specialist adaptive equipment, including standard issue, and case of need requests to facilitate independent living
- Actively engage carers/families in assessments
- Wheelchair assessments
- Referring to community colleagues for community based assessments.
The acute surgical team have a special interest and skill base in working with patients who have surgical conditions.
Where we are
We work across multiple areas including Haldand Ward and Maple Ward.