In this section
Women's health physiotherapy
The physiotherapist in Womens Health provides an important role in the treatment of many conditions affecting women.
She provides specialist assessment of the obstetric patient suffering with back, pelvic or symphysis pubis problems and offers advice regarding problem management, back care, treatment techniques and appropriate appliances.
The physiotherapist assesses and treats patients with gynaecological and anorectal problems, particularly urinary and faecal incontinence. She teaches pelvic floor awareness and exercise programmes and may include biofeedback and neuromuscular stimulation to improve PF function. Advice regarding fluid balance, diet and activities of daily living may be required.
The physiotherapist is keen to motivate, encourage and educate.
- Specialist assessment of Ante and Post Natal back and pelvic problems.
- Programmes of exercises and specific techniques related to A/N and P/N conditions.
- Provision of specialist appliances.
- Vaginal examination.
- Assessment and treatment of a range of gynaecological conditions eg urinary and faecal incontinence, dyspareunia, prolapse.
- Pelvic floor muscle exercise programmes.
- PF re-education, biofeedback and neuromuscular stimulation.
- Patient education, advice and problem management with individuals or groups.
Where we are
Physiotherapy is provided at Scarborough Hospital.