Skip to content

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more here. Hide this message

Your visit

Overseas Visitors

Information for overseas visitors seeking treatment at hospital.

  • Are you visiting the United Kingdom?
  • Have you been living outside the UK for more than three months?
  • Did you know that you may have to pay for hospital treatment whilst you are here?

The National Health Service (NHS) provides free hospital treatment for people who live in the United Kingdom.  If you are an Overseas Visitor and have been resident in the UK for the last 12 months, you will need to bring your passport and documentation as proof of eligibility for free treatment.  Suitable documents include payslips, benefit letters and college attendance letters.

If you are a visitor and not a UK resident you will need to pay before any treatment is given (this excludes the emergency department).

For more information please contact:

Overseas Visitors Office
York Hospital
Finance Department
2nd Floor Admin Block
YO31 8HE
Tel: 01904 725627

Overseas Visitors Office
Scarborough General Hospital
Finance Department
Woodlands House
Woodlands Drive
YO12 6QL
Tel: 01723 385008

To download a copy of our information leaflet click below.

For further information please see the Department of Health’s website

Please note, your information may be shared with government agencies such as the Home Office and the Department of Health and Social Care.

Are you visiting the United Kingdom?

Have you been living outside the UK?

Did you know that you may have to pay for your hospital treatment?

Logo on blue with swoosh


A receptionist at an information stand reading some paperwork

Your Visit

Chinese Poland

View all languages >

Royal College of Nursing members at our Trust are taking part in strike action Monday 6 and Tuesday 7 February from 7.00am to 8.00pm. This will impact services at our hospitals.

If you are due to attend an appointment and we haven't already contacted you, please come as planned.

On days where there is strike action, patients should only call 999 if it is a medical or mental health emergency (when someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk).