Skip to content

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more here. Hide this message

Contact us

Making a complaint

What if I want to make a complaint?

You can complain in writing, by email or by speaking to someone in the Trust.  You can also contact PALS and an adviser will be happy to give you help and advice if you are unsure whether or how to complain.

You should make your complaint within 12 months of the incident or within 12 months of the matter coming to your attention. This time limit can sometimes be extended as long as it is still possible to investigate your complaint.

Anyone can complain, including young people. A   family member, carer, friend or your local MP can complain on your behalf with your permission.

What can I expect if I complain?

You should:

  • have your complaint acknowledged within 3 working days and formally investigated
  • be kept informed of progress and provided with a full response
  • be reassured that your care and treatment will not be affected as a result of making a complaint
  • be offered the opportunity to discuss the complaint with the lead investigator
  • expect appropriate action to be taken following your complaint

How to contact the Complaints Team

The team are available Monday to Friday, 8.30am-4.30pm.

The Complaints Team manages all complaints on behalf of the Chief Executive, Simon Morritt, however if you prefer you can contact him directly at the address above.

Can I get help to make my complaint?

If you feel you would like help to make your complaint support is available.   A complaints advocate is independent of the NHS and can offer practical support such as help with writing letters, attending a meeting with you and explaining the options available.

This service is free to anyone making a complaint about their NHS treatment or care.

York Advocacy 

01904 414357

Cloverleaf Advocacy (covering North Yorkshire)

0300 012 4212

Cloverleaf Advocacy (covering East Riding of Yorkshire)

0300 012 4212

If you are unhappy with the outcome of your complaint

We hope our response will resolve your issues. If you have any questions at this stage you will be able to contact the person who carried out the investigation.

If, after this, you are still not satisfied with our handling of your complaint, you have the right to refer your case to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) which makes final decisions on unresolved complaints about the NHS in England.  It is an independent service which is free for everyone to use.

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP
0345 015 4033

Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Internal hospital signage with arrows to Main Reception, Outpatients and Pharmacy

A-Z of Services

Chinese Poland

View all languages >