Why is a Foundation Trust different?
An NHS Foundation Trust can now manage their own budgets and shape services to reflect local needs and priorities. Foundation Trusts are still monitored closely to ensure that they continue to provide reliable, safe and secure services for local people.
NHS Foundation Trusts remain fully committed to the core principles of the National Health Service. In other words, care will continue to be provided free of charge to those who need it.
Foundation Trusts are answerable to people in our local community who have chosen to become members of the Trust.
What is a member and what are the benefits?
Joining the Trust as a Foundation Trust member is completely free and is a voluntary role. As a member, the Trust is interested in what you have to say about:
- The design of services that meet your needs. NHS Foundation Trusts have more freedom from central Government control to work with you to design services to meet the needs of the community.
- The development of services. The Trust will consult on plans for the development of services. You will be invited to meetings and events, including the Annual General Meeting.
- Receipt of newsletters providing news updates and opportunities for members to get more involved
- Have access to a membership liaison person
- Be able to vote in governor elections
- Be eligible to stand for election as a governor
- Invitations special member events
- Invitation to the Annual General Meeting
- Have the option of receiving Trust documents such as the Annual Report.
Will I have to give up a lot of my time?
How much time you choose to give to being a member is up to you. You might just want to be kept up-to-date with developments or you might be keen to help us find out what local people need from their hospital.
How do I know if I am eligible?
You don't need any special skills or experience to be a member of our NHS Foundation Trust. Membership is free and is open to anyone aged 16 and over.
How will the Trust make sure my views are represented?
As an NHS Foundation Trust, our Council of Governors ensures that the views of members, as well as those of the wider community, are represented appropriately.
Click here to become a member of our Trust