In this section
Diabetic Eye Screening
Coronavirus information - screening appointments suspended
North Yorkshire Diabetic Eye Screening programme has suspended all screening appointments for the coming weeks in response to the coronavirus. If you are experiencing new and recent visual symptom that you are worried about, please contact us during office hours Monday to Friday on 01904 726640 or contact your own optician.
There is no need to telephone us about future appointments as we will make contact with you once we are in a position to offer screening again.
If you have had a recent appointment with us, and are experiencing any pain or severe discomfort in or over your eyes please contact your local hospital accident and emergency department:
- York: 01904 726588
- Harrogate: 01423 553300
- Scarborough: 01723 342145
- Northallerton: 01609 763334
- Leeds: 01132 432799
Please contact the unit nearest to you. Explain you have had Tropicamide 1% eye drops at your retinal screening appointment and that you have pain or severe discomfort in your eyes. If you had two lots of drops at your appointment, also inform A&E that you had Phenylephrine 2.5% eye drops.
Information for patients
- Your annual screening appointment
- Eye drops and driving
- Screening in slit-lamp (SLB) clinics
- Diabetes and pregnancy
- Understanding my results
- Closer monitoring (digital surveillance) for people with diabetic maculopathy
- Closer monitoring (digital surveillance) for people with pre-proliferative retinopathy
- What to do if you have problems after screening
- How do I make a complaint?
Information for optometrists
- Understanding national grading results and outcomes
- Want to check when a patient is next due to be screened?
To find the ansers to the service's most frequently asked questions pleae follow the link to our Diabetic Eye Screening FAQ's page.
- National Diabetic Eye Screening Programme
- NSC Website
- Diabetes UK
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence
- Your guide to diabetic eye screening
- Your guide to diabetic retinopathy
- Closer monitoring and treatment of diabetic retinopathy
- Diabetic eye screening: slit lamp examination
Please contact us on 01904 726640 for all appointments and general enquiries.
We have an answer machine to take messages for calls outside office hours.