In this section
The New Selby War Memorial Hospital was completed in 2011 however there has been a hospital on site since 1926.
Services from the old Selby War Memorial Hospital and Selby Raincliffe Street Clinic moved into the new hospital building in June 2011.
The new hospital was made possible thanks to Selby Community Project which was successful in securing a bid for Community Hospital Funding from the HM Treasury.
The hospital was built in partnership with North Yorkshire and York Primary Care NHS Trust and Selby District Council who also have their new Civic Centre offices on the same site.
The building was built to a high level of sustainability and is HTM/HDM compliant. As well as being naturally ventilated it features a combined heat and power system, solar panels, low flush water systems and low energy lightbulbs.
The hospital has a garden wander walk for patients, visitors and staff which includes seating, picnic benches and art sculptures.
Inside the new hospital are many pieces of original artworks by local artists and community groups, as well as a display of photographs of the locality by a local camera club.
There has been a long tradition of voluntary provision of public health facilities in Selby, starting with the Brooke Dispensary in March 1875. After the First World War it was decided to build a new hospital as a fitting War Memorial and an appeal for funds was launched. By 1925 the sum of £10,000 had been raised or promised and land was bought on Doncaster Road for £2,000.
HRH Princess Mary laid the Foundation Stone in 1926, and on 4 October 1927 Selby War Memorial Hospital was formally opened by Rt. Hon. Viscount Lascelles.
The art sculpture commissioned for the centre of the site of the new hospital depicts a 1927 old penny, representing the public subscriptions which enabled the building of the original hospital.
Artefacts from the old hospital have been transferred and located within the new hospital (including the original wrought iron sign, foundation and dedication stones and donation boards).
Click here for the latest information about visiting during Covid-19.
We also have a virtual visiting service.
T: (01904) 724300
F: (01904) 721311