In this section
The bereavement services officers at York and Scarborough will:
- provide you with a Medical Certificate of Cause of Death (MCCD)
- advise you on how to register the death
- return any valuables and personal belongings left at the hospital
- advise you on making arrangements to view your relative or friend
- advise you on what to do next
You will also have the opportunity to ask any questions you may have about these or any other matters or concerns.
What to do during your bereavement
The bereavement services team produce a booklet 'What to do during your bereavement'. This provides practical help and advice during the early days of your bereavement.
These are available from the wards, the Bereavement Services Suite or you can download a copy below:
- York Hospital: What to do during your bereavement booklet
- Scarborough Hospital: What to do during your bereavement booklet
A Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages from York Register Office will register deaths at York hospital. Bereavement Services are able to make appointments for families to see the Registrar at the hospital, but the number of appointments available may be limited. The bereavement services officers will advise families regarding availability. The other option is for families to make their own appointment at York Register Office once the Medical Certificate has been issued.
Deaths that have occurred outside of York must be registered at a North Yorkshire Register Office where possible. The bereavement services officer at Scarborough will provide you with contact details for the Scarborough Register Office.