In this section
This page includes information on how to get to York Hospital including:
- Car Parking - car parking, concessions and charges
- Bus Services
- Patient Transport
- Arrival by Ambulance
For details of road restrictions in York please click here to help plan your journey.
Car parking at York Hospital
Our multistorey car park (MSCP) is open for patient and visitor parking. This operates a 'pay on exit' system.
Visitors and staff are required to pay for parking at the York Hospital site between 7.30am and 8.00pm.
Accessible Parking at York Hospital
For further details about accessible parking to help you plan your visit to York Hospital, click here.
Concessions and Blue Badge holder parking
In line with national guidance the trust offers a number of concessions to visitors and patients who attend the hospital regularly or for long periods of time.
In addition to these concessions, bone fide blue badge holder parking is permitted free of charge in designated blue badge holder parking areas or in the MSCP as an overflow arrangement. For more information on blue badge parking at York Hospital click here.
The concessions made available by the Trust are as follows:
- For the immediate next of kin visiting a patient in the Intensive Care Unit, Higher Dependency Unit or Coronary Care unit, there is free parking in the MSCP (see ward/unit staff for validation).
- For next of kin attending a dying relative there is free parking for up to 3 days in the MSCP (this period may be extended on application, see ward/unit staff for validation).
- For parents staying with their children on Ward 17 or whose babies are in the Special Care Baby Unit there is free parking in the MSCP.
- Free parking is provided for patients attending the Renal, Cystic Fibrosis or Cancer Services departments for treatment.
There are designated parking bays adjacent to the Renal Unit. If all the allocated bays are in use, then the patients may park in the MSCP free of charge (see ward/unit staff for validation).
- A reduced parking rate is available for partners of women in labour. The rate is £2 a day and partners are required to park in the designated area which is signed close to the main entry to the Maternity Unit. After labour, partners and visitors are required to park in the MSCP - standard charges apply.
- There is a reduced tariff for visitors to patients who have been in hospital for more than 7 days. The principal visitor will be able to pay a charge of £1.00 per visit (see ward/unit staff for validation).
- There is also a reduced tariff of £1.00 per visit for a close relative of patients receiving care under the Mental Health Act, they are asked to use the MSCP (one permit per patient, see ward/unit staff for validation).
Concessionary parking permits do not run through a 24 hour period, for example a permit issued at 2.00pm will expire at 8.00pm that same day.
For any queries about obtaining a concession please call at the car parking office within the multi storey car park or contact the car park office staff on 01904 725250.
What do we charge?
Our parking charges apply between 7.30am through to 8.00pm each day. There is no charge for parking outside of these hours.
With effect from 7 October 2017, car parking charges are:
- 0-1 hrs £2.20
- 1-2 hrs £4.40
- 2-3 hrs £6.60
- 3-4 hrs £8.80
- 4-5 hrs £9.90
- 5 hrs+ £9.90
If you are unable to find a parking place onsite there are car parks nearby which are within walking distance to the hospital. See www.york.gov.uk/parking for more information.
- The hospital is a 10 to 15 minute walk from York Minster via Gillygate, Clarence Street and Wigginton Road.
- From the Clifton area/York City football ground in the west, there is a footbridge over the Scarborough railway line. This leads via Bridge Lane to the South Entrance of the hospital.
- The Foss Islands walkway/cycleway provides access from the east to Wigginton Road, north of the hospital.
- From the south, the hospital can be accessed from Bootham along Bootham Park Hospital drive and past Park House to either the Main Entranc or the South Entrance.
- From the east, the Foss Islands walkway/cycleway finishes just north of the hospital on Wigginton Road.
- From the south, the route across Scarborough Bridge over the Ouse leads up to Bootham. York Hospital can then be reached via the Bootham Park Hospital drive and Bridge Lane.
- From the west, a number of routes on quiet roads lead to the cycle-adapted footbridge over the rail line to Scarborough at Bridge Lane.
- Cycle security hoops are provided at all public entrances. Many are monitored by CCTV.
Services provided by several bus companies have stops within a short walking distance of the hospital. Most services are provided by First, you can access their timetables by clicking here.
For information about other local bus companies click here or call the bus information number (01904) 551400.
- First - Purple Line 6 - Clifton Moor via the city centre to Osbaldwick. Stops nearby on Wigginton Road for the hospital. Daily, early morning until late, generally about every 10 minutes during the working day.
- First - Park and Ride - Green Line 2 from Rawcliffe Bar stops on Bootham (just after Bootham Park Hospital gates) on its way back to Rawcliffe Bar from the city centre. Daily, runs from about 7.00am until about 8.00pm, generally about every 10 minutes during the working day. The stop is about a 10 minute walk from the hospital.
- The following buses also stop on Bootham:
- Reliance service 30/30X; Stephenson's services 29/31X; John Smith service 58 from Thirsk (Northallerton); Moorsbus M15. All run infrequently.
- TransdevYork service 14 from Clifton also stops on Bootham. It runs infrequently.
- Reliance service 40 runs along Wigginton Road infrequently.
- The following buses run close to the hospital via Clarence Street/Haxby Road. The nearest stops are about a 5 minute walk from the hospital.
- First - Blue Line 1 runs every day on Haxby Road, generally every 10 minutes during the main part of the day, from early morning until late. It goes from Wigginton through the city centre to Chapelfields.
- First - Orange Line 5 runs every day on Haxby Road, generally every 15 minutes during the working day, early morning until late. It serves the city centre and Strensall via Huntington.
- York Pullman - Service 55 runs every hour and links the city centre, Monks Cross and the University.
If you are a concessionary bus pass holder and need to travel before 9am to attend a hospital appointment, some companies offer concessionary rates. For more information and terms and conditions click here.
To view more travel advice and access a comprehensive public transport journey planner, follow this link to the traveline website.
Patient transport information
For information about patient transport please click here.
If you receive certain types of benefit or are on a low income, you may be entitled to help with your travel costs. You will need to show us evidence that you are entitled to help, such as your Income Support book or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions. You will also need to show us your travel tickets or receipts. Please call us on 01904 726524 for more information.
If you are elderly or have a disability, York Wheels offer door to door transport by car or mini bus for a reasonable price. The mini bus has a lift for wheelchair users. To book your journey call (01904) 630080.
Residents of the Pocklington area needing to get to York Hospital as a patient or visitor can use this service. Tel: 08456 445959.
Arrival by ambulance for an outpatient appointment
On arrival at the hospital, you must go to the ambulance desk near the main entrance. You will be given an ambulance booking form that must be signed by the doctor who sees you at the hospital clinic.
As you leave the clinic you must make your next appointment. Then take your appointment card and ambulance booking form back to the ambulance desk, to book transport for your next appointment.
All wards 1pm – 8pm
*subject to the discretion of the nurse in charge
All wards 1pm – 8pm
*subject to the discretion of the nurse in charge
T: (01904) 631313
F: (01904) 631314